June 24, 2012 – Our welding was completed last thursday and this weekend we were able to complete the floor. As I stated in the last post, we had three options for dealing with our subfloor. We chose option 3, cutting the subfloor so that the edges landed on one of our floor joists. Our first piece, which we only had to cut the tongue off, was pretty easy. The other sheets, however, had to have the tongue and the groove cut off in addition to cutting it so it landed on a board (the tongue and groove while ideal, is not essential to the subfloor). We used an aluminum guide that we borrowed from a co-worker (Thanks Brian!) in order to ensure that we were making straight cuts. This almost worked! A table saw would have been the ideal tool to use for this project. However, after a few goof-ups, the aluminum guide worked well and we were able to cut all the subfloor pieces and most of the cuts were straight. We should have only needed 5 sheets of the subfloor; however, we cut our first one a couple of weeks ago when we discovered that not only our porch divider was in the wrong spot but that there may be a mistake in the plans (more on that later). Anyway, we messed up the first one and had to buy an extra sheet. Due to a few bad cuts, we thought we were going to need a 7th board; however, we were able to use some leftover cuts to fill in the remainder of the floor.
I was very disappointed last Thursday when I finally opened up one of our boxes of wool insulation. I had previously been following several tiny house blogs that had all used the wool insulation from Oregon Shepherd and I was able to see the pictures of their insulation. I had also thoroughly checked out the Oregon Shepherd website before ordering our insulation. In all the pictures that I had seen, the wool was all natural colored wool. However, when I had opened up one of our boxes, it contained dyed wool too, something I was not expecting (I admit I am a bit picky). My disappointment came from the fact that it simply wasn’t the natural look I was wanting. I had an image in my head regarding what the wool would look like and it was anything but that. I was pleased to find that the second box we opened was all the natural color, but color or no color, we’re still excited to use wool for our insulation.
After getting all the subfloor sheets cut to size, we filled the cavities with the wool and glued and screwed the subfloor in place. It was a late night for us, we didn’t finish up until 9:30 pm and still had to make the 1/2 hour drive home and get ready for work the next day. This was a big milestone for us though. We started framing in the floor a month and a half ago and it feels really good to complete this phase of the project.